memories

">

Sunday, March 27, 2011

He'll get his viking funeral after all




If you've read Cliff's Eulogy, you'll know that we played the Viking Horns at the end of the funeral ... when everyone stood in silence for one minute. And at the time, I didn't really see his coffin move out of view, not only because tears obliterated my sight, but mostly because, in my mind,





"I AM ON A BEACH WATCHING HIM SAIL AWAY ON A VIKING SHIP AND NOW I CAN SEE ALL THE PALLBEARERS LIGHTING THEIR ARROWS. NOW THEY ARE PULLING THE ARROWS BACK AND POINTING THEM UP BUT TOWARDS THE SHIP. THEY RELEASE THE FLAMING ARROWS, ONE BY ONE. FLAMES START TO DANCE RANDOMLY AROUND THE SHIP. THE SUN IS SETTING … JUST LIKE THOSE BEAUTIFUL CARIBBEAN SUNSETS THAT WE SHARED TOGETHER. HE IS SAFE. HE HAS HIS PIECE OF EIGHT, PHOTOS, OTHER TREASURES THAT HE WILL NEED TO CROSS THAT FINAL RIVER. AND I KNOW BEYOND DOUBT THAT HE WILL FIND HIS WAY OVER. WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO STOP HIM … HIS SHEER SIZE AND POWER, NEVER MIND THE FACT HE IS WIELDING TWO MO-FO SWORDS."


Thanks to a widow friend of mine, I found this site (which incidentally is a really good site and includes a wonderful blog about remembering and memorializing) that included this link:


http://www.scattering-ashes.co.uk/where-to-scatter/cremated-ashes-scattered-viking-boat-pagan/


I've written to the company asking for prices.


Perhaps it might be appropriate to visit Kathy in Sweden and let him have his viking funeral there ...



p.s. I also liked this idea which can turn a favourite item of clothing into a laptop or iphone cover (on the same site).

7 comments:

  1. how wonderful. oh, i hope they are reasonable. i know how important this is for you, how symbolic. like the moon is for me. peace, Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a remarkable idea (but of course I also loved your post on fireworks as well)..
    I have been wearing some of my LH's favorite shirts, etc but I like the idea of turning them into something more useful.. You should write a book.. its these kind of ideas that provide a means to memorialize our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this works out for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Stop by my blog and read Ellen Gerst's story about getting out in the world after her husband's death. I'm glad she let me post it; a view of the funnier side of widowhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just checking in to say hi.. hope all is well
    ((( hugs ))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmmm, £500 is a bit much for me right now. One day ... or I'll find another supplier :-) Or ask one of Cliff's builder/carpentry friends to make one

    ReplyDelete