memories

">

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

This time two years ago

This time two years ago we spent our last night together in bed. We were both restless, and kept waking up. We held each other all night, which was rare because generally upon falling asleep, as most couples do, we would sleep cuddled up, in our case, usually with his right arm slung over me. But that last night, we literally took it in turns to hold each other. All night long. I can remember looking at the back of him ... his broad shoulders, his neck, the way his hair rested on his neck. I lay there for a few minutes just letting my eyes drink him in. I remember the urge to just hold him tight and never let him go. Fear of losing him flitting across my mind for a moment.




As if we knew.



We were close enough to.



Him and me.



I would exchange the rest of my life, just for a taste of him, once again.

The following day, January 5th 2009 at 15h00, Cliff suffered a fatal stroke. And 12 hours later, he died. My world ended ... literally ... for he was my world.



From March 16th 1956, he was born in Mtarfa (Malta) at this hospital










and in the blink of an eye, on January 6th 2009, at 03h00 ... this magical man took his last breath.





From that to this:






In the blink of an eye.



Even if we'd had 60 years together ... it would never have been long enough.

6 comments:

  1. your last thought rings so true. i wish you peace. i wish you to feel his presence surround you and quiet your sorrow. i wish you your forever together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about the last night with them is so sweet and sad. I wish I could relive the last night, just to soak him all in one last time.

    I just lit a candle for you and Cliff. Sending you lots of extra love and positive energy over the next two days. I know it's hard but I hope our love lights your way through the darkness.
    Deb xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am holding you close to my heart. These type of memories can be so agonizing. I hope that through these next couple of days you know that we are all here for you.

    Be gentle with yourself. Remember how much you loved him, and how much he loved you.

    Love. Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right, Boo ..... no amount of time would have ever been enough.
    Thinking of and praying for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you all. I know you will understand when I say that reading these comments helped me beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you...and him. With love

    ReplyDelete