memories

">

Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Naughty Elves


Shaun and Gary somehow managed to put some tiles on the roof RIGHT ABOVE MY BEDROOM WINDOW this morning without waking me up. But I'm not insinuating that they are naughty elves ... far from it ... they are guardian angels if anything.

It was lovely to wake up in a house with:

the sound of activity
the sound of laughter
just the knowledge that another human being was there

and have a "good morning"
and a smile

and a cup of tea made for me

It was lovely
... yet it was bittersweet for obvious reasons

And after I watched the little red van drive away, I just could not motivate myself to do anything other than cuddle my dogs, play on the internet, watch TV and snooze.

So much for my plans of annihilating all the outstanding paperwork, mopping the floors, vacuuming, dusting and laundry ... oh yes, and catching up with social phone calls. Hmmmmm.

Never mind, I can do the chores first thing tomorrow, then drive down the coast to have a drink with Gary and Shaun, visit Vicki and hopefully Dad and Jenny too. In truth, I know there won't be time to fit in everyone, but I'll try.

Today's mail, which I ignored until I returned from the 24/7 shop at 22h00 (needed more coke and Absolut, as well as Pringles and Houmous for supper) included a kitsch postcard from Suffolk, courtesy of my beautiful niece Frances and her beau Adam ... explaining that they read my post Christmas is coming AFTER THE EVIL ELVES mailed my Christmas Card to me. LOL ... it did make me laugh, and I keep smiling each time I glance at the postcard ... and think of this bit of British Kitsch as my antidote to the cards that are arriving through my letterbox.

Thank you both - I love you.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got a visit from the naughty elves! Isn't it amazing how the sound of another adult in the house is comforting and sad at the same time? Even the smell of coffee brewing in my house(since I don't drink coffee much but it was Austin's favorite beverage, right up there with scotch) can send me into a panic attack.

    Have a good day tomorrow and travel safe.

    Hugs, Debbie

    P.S. Any luck with the Marriott website reservation group code?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smell is so evocative, and it is strange how another person or people being in your home can make it feel warm again ... even before the heating is switched on :-) Oh, I miss that :-(

    No reply re the Marriott code yet ... will let you know as soon as I hear, and will give Michele a gentle reminder next week xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your morning began with a smile. I hope your elves know how much joy they brought you by their presence.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Dan, it's the simple things that make us happy.

    And it's amazing ... I knew I was always happy with Cliff, but when I feel happy now, it's so precious ... I don't take it for granted now.

    The "elves" will read this blog and find out :-)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am glad you have your elves. you are right. it is the simple things that make us the most happy. i'm glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) good but lazy. And lazy today, but just about to go into "chicken with head off" mode. Be thankful you are not here - LOL

    ReplyDelete