memories

">

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Excitement


It’s so important to have stuff to look forward to, otherwise I tend to slip into a “doom and gloom” pit of despair and stay there for quite some time.

Today, I’m feeling upbeat because I have booked my ticket to Camp Widow/er. Michele Neff Hernandez emailed me to say that mine was the first ticket sold … not that I am looking forward to it or anything ;-)

It is going to be such a powerful experience. To stand in the same room as other widows and widowers. To sit with people who know how I feel. To talk to people who know what I fear. To just be. To not have to explain anything. What a break and relief that will be.

It is going to be emotional too. To meet friends I have made through blogging and on the Grief Healing Discussion Boards. I’m not sure that I am going to want to let go of them at the end of the Conference.

It is also going to be a learning experience. An uplifting experience, and a time to make new friendships and cement existing ones.

Not only that it’s in San Diego … I’ve never been to California, so that in itself is something to look forward to as well. (Naturally I have old school-friends there … is there anywhere that I don’t? LOL. So am planning on meeting up with Kevin Hall and meeting his husband, as well as Melanie Silvera and meeting her family)

I can’t guarantee that I won’t cry but I can guarantee that I will laugh.

And anyone who has read Michele Neff Hernandez’s or Michelle Dippel’s blogs will understand me when I say it will be an honour to meet them. When I have my darkest hours (or days), simply reading their words has the ability to “talk me down” or should that be “talk me up”? I can’t thank them enough for that … but as a small measure of thanks I am raising funds for the Soaring Spirits Loss Foundation, which does wonderful work, and is in fact responsible for organizing Camp Widow. I’ll write more about this on a future post (and yes, I’ll be asking you to stick your hands in your pockets and wallets).

Hoping that you too can make this Conference and meeting you there!
Here are the briefest details about this Conference on Widowhood:
San Diego
August 6th - 8th, 2010

5 comments:

  1. I am so touched by your blog, and I can't wait to meet you too! I'm really looking forward to San Diego - see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Michelle, I didn't realize you read my blog :-) It feels good to be excited about something again and it will be so good to meet you in person x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice to read this post and feel your excitement. Great to have something to look forward to -- you are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your excitement is so infectious. I can just see you metaphorically hammering on the door of the conference organiser's office demanding your ticket!
    But you are so right, it is great to have something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks guys, just booking the ticket has lifted me up :-)

    ReplyDelete