memories

">

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Boarding School Friends

I love my old friends from school so much. There is a special closeness, a bond that is unbreakable.

I received an email today from my room-mate throughout the VIth form, and have pasted an excerpt below. She emailed to see how I was and to tell me that they are moving from Malta to Cyprus.

Cliff and I hired a villa in Gozo for a week and spent a day in Malta with Jackie and her beautiful family. In fact, we all went to Mtarfa to see the hospital where Cliff was born, and it is this that she refers to below.

For me Malta is so much tied up with you and Cliff in an inexplicable way (I mean you were here just the one time but it's really strong) and I wish there was something I could do to say goodbye to that before I leave. Maybe I can go and light a candle in the Church of Mtarfa or something. Any ideas? Strange thinking on my part? Or maybe you understand what I mean.


I had to take a big gulp at my desk, as have already shed some tears here earlier today, and crying isn't really condusive to driving on the M25, where I am imminently heading ... but I love her for the sentiment. It's such a touching, tender thing to do for him and for me.




3 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I have a widow in England looking for sister widows...can you help? Feel free to email me at micheleh@sslf.org. Thanks so much for sharing your heart and your love!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thing for her to do! The candle idea is wonderful! I did that on my first visit to Notre Dame for my dad. I'll do it next time for David.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, she is a special friend and one of the kindest, sweetest and gentlest people that I have ever met xx

    ReplyDelete